Friday, March 13, 2009

It's a snake...no, a worm....no, definitely a snake

Austin was away in Las Vegas this past weekend, so Amelia and I had a girls' weekend...fun! I was sitting on the sofa, crocheting, and Amelia was playing on the floor with some toys near me. I realize she is having more fun than necessary, and look down to see a baby snake slithering around, and Amelia is really enjoying watching it...laughing, and trying to poke it.

I have no problem with snakes. Or bugs. Or spiders or anything. But I have a HUGE problem with snakes in my house. So I grab this one, put it in a bowl, and take some pictures of it. Then i search my house and find another one, nearly dead, on the other side of the living room. I am really, really freaking out. So I drown them and run copious amounts of water down the drain to flush them away. Then I find another one in my kitchen, later that night, and my neighbor kills it for me, and confirms that it's a snake. Then the next day, I find one on the bathroom counter, and I kill it.

By this time...I am practically hysterical. I am picturing a momma snake ready to pounce, with an army of babies close behind. I mean...my house is INFESTED with snakes. Yesterday, I took my camera and found the entomologist that works in my building, and he identifies them as Texas Blind Snakes (or TX Thread Snakes). Blind, harmless, non-venomous, can't bite, and don't grow larger than 10 inches or so. No, they are not worms.

So I feel a little better, knowing that they aren't going to kill us in our sleep, but still really creeped out. Now that Austin is back from Vegas, he is in charge of snake removal. He found one last night, and if we find anymore, we will just put them outside for the birds to eat. Yum.

You want to see some pictures? No? Tough. It's just a picture...I had to pick them up from inside my house. Enjoy. Sweet dreams.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Holy crap! I had those when I moved into my new house. I (my cat) ended up finding the momma in the garage and killing (dragging it all over the house and then eating) it.