Monday, March 30, 2009

Amelia Island

Ok, so when faced with a 2 week trip to Jacksonville, FL...one must make the decision on what to do over the weekend, which is especially vital when presented with a 3 day weekend. My coworker and I agreed to go to Amelia Island, FL. I mean, who wouldn't? It is a small island in the Atlantic off northern FL that is apparently a big vacation spot. I never thought I would find a place that I liked as much as Oahu, but I have. I want to bring Austin and Amelia here and live here forever!

Chan and I were searching for seashells, when we saw a couple of people staring at the sand. We were like, "I wonder if those people know something we don't." She walks over, and yells for me to come over. Turns out that Amelia Island is like the #2 place in the US to find shark's teeth, and these people are finding tons of them. A lady showed us the ones she had found...like 20 of them, and was kind enough to scatter a few on the ground so that we could "find" them, and even let us keep them. From then on, we were obsessed with finding shark's teeth. A few locals saw us throughout the weekend and would stop by to check on our progress. In the end, we found maybe 30-35 total. We sat in the wet sand for hours each day, just digging, and getting excited like eight year olds when we would find some. In the last pic are the first 4 that I found.

View from the parking lot of our beachfront hotel, Seaside Amelia Inn
A handful of seashells scooped from the sand
Me pretending to be amazed while I take my own picture.
Chan looking for shark's teeth
Houses on Amelia Island
Shark's teeth that I found the first day.

No comments: