Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Thu-Mai's Challenge

Here is a mother-daughter matching scarf set that I made last week, again using the yarn made from recycled plastic bottles. The color looks off in the pictures, but it is a soft purple.


This is a ultra-lightweight scarf made from sock yarn. The actual colors are pale green, peach pink, and a purple-brown, which combines to appear like camouflage in this photo, but not in real life. I also made this scarf last week.

The newest addition is this patchwork afghan that I just finished up about five minutes ago. This is for my friend Sherry. It was made using a yarn made from recycled plastic bottles. According to the yarn packaging, you save about 10 bottles from the landfill when you crochet a blanket. Since I don't buy bottled water, I figure I saved even more than 10. This blanket is about 3'x4' and is perfect for covering up your legs while curling up on the sofa and reading a book. Thu-Mai called this an ice cream blanket because of the colors.

Since Thu-Mai requested that I upload some pictures of my crochet creations for critique, here you go. So far I have made 2 blankets and this...what I call a shawl scarf. A sharf. Hee! It was made using the Afghan stitch (which happens to be the only stitch I can do well), made with a "I"size crochet hook and a lightweight bamboo blend yarn. It's light enough for spring/fall and although it is hard to tell from the picture, it reaches about to the elbows when worn. And sorry, but this is not a family Christmas gift....although if you would like one for Christmas, I can make a similar one with your requested colors, but that would take away the surprise.


I am currently working on a blanket for a friend (she is making me a quilt in an apple-core pattern in exchange) and I should be finished by tomorrow. I'll add a picture of that (and other future creations) to this post, so check back often.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pretty color combination.

Sal

Anonymous said...

I did'nt know that you were so talented.

Linda

Anonymous said...

I am SO impressed. You do good work, Erin. Now you should try sweaters.

Yo mama

Ben August said...

Oh, you've got mad crocheting skillz. Like an old lady.

I think you should add a "Books I'm Reading" list on your blog because you also have mad speed reading skillz.