Saturday, June 30, 2007

Clovis Dairy Fest

Ice cream face!
Daddy put water on her head to keep her cool
Living in a small, boring town means trying to find fun wherever you can. I was pretty excited about going to the Dairy Fest today, thinking there would be a lot of, oh, I don't know...animal exhibits, maybe a bunch of food samples to try. Well, there were 2 calves (pictures above), one Holstein cow, and the only food there was from people running around handing out melted (artifically flavored!) ice cream bars and inside the civic center, sack lunches with burned burgers. The only exhibits were for...get this...animal feed, like grain. Interesting! From what we could tell, the most excitement people were having was walking around shaking tiny plastic cups of cream so they could make their own butter. (On a side note, I actually did that a few years ago...Colin and Aidan and I took turns shaking a jar of cream, and made butter. It tasted really good, but I realized that making it from store-bought cream would cost about 3-4 times what it costs to just buy butter. But it was fun. This was during the time that my family suffered by wearing clothes washed with my homemade detergent for a year...only cost about a quarter per gallon of detergent, but all the clothes ended up pretty dingy and odd-smelling.) Today it was 90'F outside, and even I know that the cream must be very, very cold to make butter.
Anyway, we only stayed at the Dairy Fest for about a half hour. Did I mention that the parking lot was really an existing prairie dog colony? Yep. We had the watch where we stepped so we wouldn't break an ankle in a prairie dog hole. Oh well, it only cost $2 for all 3 of us to get in.

No comments: