Tuesday, January 13, 2009

My new obsession


My friend Thu-Mai reminded me today to update my blog. So here it goes. Thu-Mai is an expert crocheter and convinced me to give it a try. I wanted to make an afghan with different colored squares, and she made me believe that I could actually do it. So last week, while I was working in Virginia, I picked up a "how to" book that came with some crochet hooks. I spent about an hour learning the different stitches before settling on the "afghan" stitch, because I liked the pattern and figured it would make a nice heavy afghan. I bought a few shades of yarn and got started, and have barely stopped. Luckily, I have plenty of time in airports and on planes to work on this. My squares are about 4 inches, so I figured that I would need about 275 of them (figuring in a extra 25 squares for a 10% error rate) to make a big enough afghan for 2 to cuddle under. Each square takes me about 30-40 minutes to finish, and if I do an average of 2 a day, might have the afghan done by late spring. Wish me luck!
And I should add that Thu-Mai needs to update HER blog. Check out Thu-Mai's blog, "Ben short for Ben" in my blogroll.

1 comment:

Ben August said...

Oh, snap. You didn't have to call me out like that. I've been spending my afternoons taking tandem naps with Ben. Fine. I'll update soon. Very soon.