Friday, May 16, 2008

Dole Plantation

Mango-less mango trees
Red pineapples are not for eating.
First time I've ever seen bananas on a tree in person.
But now that I think of it, I've also never seen a mango tree or a pineapple plant.
A big pineapple field.
I went to the Dole plantation today, a very popular tourist spot, which seems weird to me. I guess it's because I associate the word "plantation" with the word "exploitation" (of the workers). Anyway, they had a lot of tacky Dole tshirts, none of which I bought, but I did have a pineapple float, which was pineapple sherbet with pineapple juice. And then, because I wanted the pineapple-shaped souvenir bowl (because I thought it would make a nice cereal bowl), I had to eat the fresh pineapple that came in it. And by then I'd had it with pineapple. But after touring the pineapple fields on the Pineapple Express train, there I was, dutifully lining up with the rest of the tourists for my complimentary sample of pineapple on a toothpick. Yerk. After I got home, I went to McDonald's to get a cheeseburger. Did you know that *every* McDonald's value meal (even breakfast) is served with a dish of "fresh" pineapple? Well, mine is in the fridge. I'm pineappled out.

No comments: