Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Grandma Sally comes to visit!


When Amelia was 10 days old, my mother, Sally Driscoll, flew from Wisconsin to visit us in New Mexico. It was her first time here, and she was pretty surprised by what Clovis looked like. She thought it was desert, with mountains and canyons (so did we!). Instead, Clovis is flat, dry, dusty, windy, and pretty ugly, with a strong manure smell. But, she was dazzled by Amelia, who is her second granddaughter (cousin Sophie was born on September 14, 2006).

My mom has been wonderful to us...she has equipped Amelia with a beautiful wardrobe, and also bought a Pack and Play for her. When we were trying to decide on Amelia's middle name, Austin said he thought it should mean something, maybe be named after a family member, possibly my mother. I said, "I am not naming our daughter 'Amelia Sally!" But I remembered that her confirmation name is Sarah, and Amelia Sarah sounded beautiful. I had wanted to surprise my mother by giving Amelia that name, but anybody who knows me also knows that I can't keep a secret like that to save my life, so I called up my mom and told her, thinking she'd be really surprised and happy. To my surprise, she tried to talk me out of it! She thought that my previous choice, 'Linden' would be better. But I'm pretty stubborn, and Amelia Sarah she became. I think my mom likes it now.

My mom stayed for 6 days and pretty much held Amelia the entire time until she left. A least when I would let her...I was pretty possessive of Amelia those first few weeks!

No comments: